Career Description: The Advance Welding Program consists of Pipe Welding with Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel using Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) and Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW), Welding processes in the 1G to the 6GR positions. Pipe fitting techniques and Blueprint Reading.
Pre-requisite: the advanced program requires successful completion of Welding Technology and or Structural certification.
Admissions (How to Apply):
1. Apply to MTC at https://manateetech.edu/apply-now/. Submit your application to access your “To-Do List.” You are not accepted into the program after applying, you must complete your do list.
2. View the Main Campus Virtual Information Session handout: Click Here
3. View the Main Campus Virtual Information Session video: Click Here
4. Complete your “To-Do List” at https://www.MTCdashboard.net.
Note: The Basic Skills Assessment must be taken within 6 weeks of your admit date unless exemption criteria have been documented per State Statute. For exemption information, see the Student Handbook located here: https://www.manateetech.edu/quick-docs/
Length of Program: 750 hours – approximately 10 months to complete
Dual Enrollment Available: no
American Welding Society Certified Welder
1. 6G position 6” Carbon steel pipe SCH. 80 6010 root pass 7018 fill and cap
2. 6G position 2” Carbon steel pipe SCH. 80 6010 root pass 7018 fill and cap
AWS Testing available on:
2” and/or 6” Carbon Steel Pipe:
6G SMAW Open Root/No Backing
6G GTAW Open Root/No Backing Followed By SMAW
A 6G Pipe Test qualifies a welder to weld all weld joints in all positions in plate and pipe.
Articulation: May be available towards credits at Florida public colleges/universities. Speak with a Career Counselor for more information.
Possible Careers and Outlook:
51-4121.00 Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers
Estimated Total: $4,400*
*An additional fee for a uniform, books, supplies, and various materials is required. Fees for certifications and/or licensure may or may not be required. The price is for in-state tuition. For out-of-state tuition, speak with a Career Counselor for more information. MTC is not an I-20 institution. State Sales Tax calculated at the point of sale.
Location: MTC Main Campus, 6305 State Road 70 East, Bradenton, FL 34203 | 941.751.7900
Start Date: August, January
Start Time: Evening: Monday – Thursday, 4:30 p.m. 9:30 p.m. AND Saturday 7:45 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
For More Information: Contact Roderick Mitchell: 941.751.7900 x 1032, Email