Program Content: This 750-hour program covers various types of therapeutic massages, such as Swedish, Neuromuscular, and Reflexology including:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Basic Massage Therapy and Clinical Practicum
- Statutes/Rules and History of Massage
- Theory and Practice of Hydrotherapy
- Allied Modalities
- Legal Aspects of Massage Practice
- Professional Ethics
- Entrepreneurial Skills
Our program is approved by the Florida Board of Massage Therapy, Florida Department of Health, and adheres to the curriculum standards set by the Board. Students are prepared to sit for the Massage licensing exam. Upon passing they are eligible to become Licensed Massage Therapists. MTC is accredited by the Commission on Occupational Education. We accept students from other states.
1. Apply to MTC at https://manateetech.edu/apply-now/
Submit your application to access your “To-Do List.”
2. Attend a Program Information Session.
3. Complete your “To-Do List” at https://www.MTCdashboard.net.
4. Submit your criminal background information as shown on your “To-Do List.”
The application process also includes a physical exam and proof of a massage by a professional Licensed Massage Therapist.
The deadline for your completed “To-Do List” is 4 weeks prior to the class start date.
Note: The Basic Skills Assessment must be taken within 6 weeks of your admit date unless exemption criteria have been documented per State Statute. For exemption information, see the Student Handbook located here: https://www.manateetech.edu/quick-docs/
Length of Program: 750 hours or approximately 10 months
On-time Completion Rate: 100%
Licensure Rate: 100%
Articulation: May be available towards credits at Florida public colleges/universities. Speak with a Career Counselor for more information.
Job Placement Rate: 89%
Median Loan Debt: $0- MTC does not take part in any student loan program
The source of the Completion, Placement, and Licensure rate is 2014-2015 school year student data.
Program Mission Statement: The mission of Manatee Technical College’s Massage Therapy program is to prepare students with the appropriate knowledge base, hands-on skills and confidence to be exceptional massage therapy practitioners.
Regulation in Other States: The names and addresses of the appropriate regulatory agencies for all states that regulate the practice of massage therapy and bodywork and/or aesthetics/skincare. The understanding that local municipal ordinances may apply in the absence of state law.
State Massage Therapy Regulatory Bodies: For more information regarding state regulations governing massage therapists and massage establishments in the State of Florida, visit: https://floridasmassagetherapy.gov
Local municipal ordinances may apply in the absence of state law or a state governing body. It is your responsibility to know and abide by the laws and rules in any state or municipality for which you desire to practice.
Download State of Florida Frameworks Sheet: Massage Therapy
Required Books and Materials: Massage Therapy
Latest Employment Trends: Florida Department of Economic Opportunity Regional Labor Supply Dashboard
Careers in Florida
Minimum Qualification for Licensure as a Massage Therapist in the State of Florida (requirements vary from state to state)
- Must be at least 18 years of age or has received a high school diploma or graduate equivalency diploma (GED®)
- Completed a course of study at a Board of Massage Therapy Approved School or completed a Board-approved apprenticeship program
- Must pass the MBLEX Exam
- Must have completed a two-hour course on the prevention of medical errors
- Must submit an application and fee for licensure as a Massage Therapist
- Some applicants may be required to appear before the Board at a regularly scheduled meeting for determination of licensure; therefore it is imperative that all application deadlines are adhered to
Estimated Total: $3,650*
*An additional fee for a uniform, books, supplies and various materials is required. Fees for certifications and/or licensure may or may not be required. Price is for in-state tuition. For out-of-state tuition, speak with a Career Counselor for more information. MTC is not an I-20 institution. State Sales Tax calculated at point of sale.
Location: MTC Main Campus, 6305 State Road 70 East, Bradenton, FL 34203 | 941.751.7900
Start Date: August, January
Start Time: Day: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Evening: 6:00 p.m.- 10:00 p.m.