Grievance Procedure

All students are entitled to due process. If you believe you have been treated unfairly, you can expect that your grievance will be settled in a timely and fair manner.. 


When initiating a grievance, the student should first make every reasonable effort to resolve the issue with the instructor or staff member concerned.


If the situation cannot be resolved, the student should see his or her career counselor, program director or allied health coordinator to discuss the grievance. During this meeting, the counselor/director/coordinator will assist the student in documenting the grievance, the actions that need to be taken toward resolution, and the results of those actions taken.


If a resolution could not be reached, the student will make an appointment with the campus Assistant Director. During this meeting, the Career Counselor will be present as the student’s advocate. All further actions taken, and the results of those actions must also be documented. If a resolution is not reached by this point, the Assistant Director will organize a Grievance Hearing that consists of a non-partisan group that will review all the documentation compiled. They will then separately discuss the grievance with the student and the instructor/staff member. The members of the group will then discuss the findings and arrive at a mutually agreed upon resolution. This resolution will be presented separately to the student and then to the instructor/staff member. If the student is not satisfied with the Grievance Hearing resolution, the next step is to:


Make an appointment to meet with the MTC Director. All previously collected documentation, including the resolutions derived from the Grievance Hearing, will be forwarded to the MTC Director for review prior to the meeting with the student. If a resolution cannot be reached at the college level, the student may:


Seek resolution at the district level from the following individuals in the following order: Executive Director of Adult, Career, and Technical Education; Deputy Superintendent of Operations; Superintendent of Schools; and finally, the School Board of Manatee County.


 If the issue cannot be resolved at the District level, the student may contact the Florida Division of Career, Technical & Adult Education (DCAE)


If you believe that your complaint has not been addressed satisfactorily, after exhausting all Manatee Technical College’s complaint or grievance procedures, you may contact for additional information/guidance: Council on Occupational Education 7840 Roswell Road, Building 300, Suite 325, Atlanta, GA 30350. Phone: (800) 917-2081 FAX: (770) 396-3790