Prepare for: FL-EMT, National Registry, State of Florida Certified Firefighter certification.
Train to be: Firefighter, Paramedic
- A career as a firefighter/EMT provides stability, structure, and the ability to give back to the community in a very real and direct way.
- In the firefighter portion, you’ll study fire service, fire alarms and communication, vehicles, apparatus and equipment, fire behavior, portable extinguishers, fire streams, fundamentals of extinguishment. You’ll learn about ladders, hoses, tools and equipment, forcible entry, salvage, overhaul, ventilation, rescue, protective breathing equipment, first responder emergency medical techniques, water supplies, principles of in-service inspections, safety, controlled burning, and employability skills.
- The EMT portion of the program includes patient assessment for illness/ injuries, airway management, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, treatment modalities for bleeding and shock, soft tissue injuries, musculoskeletal injuries, spinal injuries, medical emergencies, emergency childbirth, pediatric emergencies, emergency operations, i.e., hazardous materials, multi-casualty incidents, emergency extrication, transportation of patients to receiving facility.
Other Helpful Links:
Florida Department of Education: Frameworks
Admissions (How to Apply):
- Request a mandatory program information session presentation provided by the Career Counselor for more information regarding programming.
- Apply to Manatee Technical College here: https://manateetech.edu/apply-now Once your application is submitted, Information will be provided via “To-Do List within 1 – 2 business days. Check personal email for log-in criteria.
- Complete your “To-Do List” at https://www.MTCdashboard.net.
Clinical sites require a participating student to have an acceptable background check. Students who have previous felonies on their arrest records may not be permitted to participate in the program.
Drug Test: All students are given a drug test. A positive drug test will result in immediate withdrawal from the program. More details will be available at the time of enrollment.
Physical Examination and Immunizations
The Basic Physical is required to start the EMT portion of the programming. This physical must be dated within one year of the course start date. The future Advanced Fire Physical – must be in date for programming (Fire Fighter I & II) and is only good for 6 months. These Fire Physical Forms are provided as part of the To-Do List documents which should be provided to the physician for review and completion prior to the start of Firefighter I.
Immunizations required include:
Measle-Mumps-Rubella(MMR) – doses required with the 2nd dose at least one month after the first
Tdap- the last 10 years
Two PPD Skin Test (tuberculosis) – 1 anytime and 1 within the last year, TINE test not accepted
Varicella – Chicken Pox – 2 doses required or positive titer
Hepatitis B – recommended for this field
For More Information: Please email MTCPublicSafety@manateeschools.net.
MTC is not an I-20 institution.